Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Giving Thanks in Savannah - 2008


Thought I'd share a few photos from our trip to visit Per's brother Nils in Savannah over the Thanksgiving holiday.  Every time I visit Savannah I fall a little more in love with the moss covered trees.  These aged, majestic beauties are so uniquely lovely - it's no wonder so many authors have chosen to so vividly describe them in their poems and novels.  I read about these trees long before I ever laid eyes on them...

Downtown Savannah is filled with parks like the one pictured above.


Until I moved to the Southern states a couple years ago, I never really appreciated the rich history of this area. The Wild West seems so young in comparison . . .

And I've never seen so many HUGE churches until I moved to the "bible belt" - Savannah also has it's share of large colonial style churches.

I forgot to ask Nils and Wendy about this building ... Torby wanted me to get a photo of the gold dome.  Quite lovely...

Once we got past the lengthy drive that should have been about 8 hours but turned into 11 hours after we hit traffic in Atlanta, the trip was very relaxing and enjoyable.  We spent a lot of time in Nils' "Man Cave".  Yes, he has an official man cave, complete with a pool table, darts, Foosball, and a fridge full of cold beverages.  Though I'm not sure Nils can call it a man cave any longer - I mean all masculinity was chased from that cave by my 3 little girls last weekend.  I'm hoping there is some kind of ritual that can be performed to restore the cave to it's prior manly glory ;-)

You'll have to excuse the blurry photos ... these were taken in a dimly lit cave after all!

The kids have added a pool table to their Christmas Wish List.  Good thing Craig's List is full of ads for used pool tables right now (seriously, what did we do before the Internet).  It's a good time to buy ... hmmmm, or maybe Santa can throw one in his sleigh.  Can Rudolph transport a thousand pounds of slate pool table from the North Pole to Nashville ... we'd better leave out a few extra reindeer treats on Christmas Eve!!!!

Thanksgiving dinner was HEAVENLY.  Nils deep fried a turkey for us and he worked in some magic with his injector... the result was incredibly tender and juicy turkey for all!  Nils' fabulous wife , Wendy, made one of my favorite southern side dishes (I think it's a southern dish - we never ate it in Montana or Seattle) of buttery yams doused in plenty of brown sugar.  I forgot to take a picture of the food spread so you'll just have to trust me - it was incredible. 

After the traditional ritual of overeating (I mean how can you not overeat when presented with such a feast), the guys settled in to watch some televised football while my little girls decided to play their own game of football outside.  
  
The weather was perfect - no need for coats ... or shoes for that matter.

What ... you've never seen football players dressed in princess pink velour leisure suits?

Now that's how you burn off those extra holiday calories!!!

I also spent some time in the dentist's chair during our visit.  Nils is setting me up with Invisalign braces.  What a deal - I get to go to one of the top dentists in the country AND I get the family discount!!!  But Nils also told me it's time to get my wisdom teeth removed ... all FOUR of them ... I'll try to be tough ;-)  

I must have needed the rest and relaxation this weekend because I fell asleep in the dentist's chair - and this was not just a little nap folks, I contentedly slept for hours while Nils and Wendy went about their business tending to their other patients.  I'm telling you, budget season really wears me out!!!  Nils also took some impressions of Anders' teeth to make him some bleaching trays and then Anders fell asleep in the dentist's chair too ... now what's his excuse?!?! ;-)

When I wasn't sleeping, playing pool or darts or Foosball with the kids, shopping on-line or at the outlet stores in Hilton Head, South Carolina (proud to say I did all my Christmas shopping for the kids on Black Friday - from start to finish - and did most of it on-line... whew), or reading (just short essays on motherhood from a book entitled "The Mother in Me" - nothing too engrossing), I was stalking the kids with the camera - OF COURSE!!!

I couldn't resist!  Nils and Wendy's home is nestled on a river just upstream from the Atlantic Ocean  - and their property provides the PERFECT backdrop for a photog - especially an amateur like myself.  Here's a couple of my favs:




Where would I be without these fabulous little people and my awesome companion, Per?  As always, I thank my Father in Heaven for them first and foremost.  

And we're so grateful that Nils and Wendy and their family let us descend upon their home with our sometimes loud and often whiny brood.  While my hosting skills could never compare with yours, you and your entire family are always welcome at our home - anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment