Evidently, I earned some bragging rights this week for being one of the first gals in the country to see the movie "Twilight".
I'm not sure to whom I'm supposed to brag about this ... a lot of folks have looked at me and asked "What's Twilight" when I mention the movie. But moms with teenagers know what I'm talking about since the Twilight series is being lauded as the most popular book series since Harry Pottery in this country. The books were written by a member of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so I thought I'd support the author and join several of my friends at the sneak preview at 10:00 this past Thursday night.
The movie was cute but definitely a "chick flick". It has the "forbidden love" and "mortal fascination with the immortal" themes ... along with a couple "dark and twisty" characters ... and a setting in Forks, Washington (I lived very close to Forks in Shelton, WA for 14 years so I really loved the scenery in the movie - rain and all!). I'm a little dark and twisty myself at times, I am a mortician's daughter after all, so I really liked the characters in the movie.
I have NOT read the books yet. I mean seriously, when I am supposed to read?
Reading = ignoring my spouse and children.
I LOVE to read but I get really drawn into books and then I literally retreat from the world until I have devoured every word. So I'll pick books up again when the kids are a little older and require less snuggling and minute by minute attention. :-)
Since I'm on a Dark and Twisty theme today, I thought I'd share a couple photos of my family's mortuary in Montana (the state that is the glory of the West!). My Grandpa Croxford built this gem and then passed the business on to his 2 sons when he passed away. I always felt this building was much too beautiful to be a mortuary. It has a grand staircase inside that reminds me of something Scarlett O'Hara would descend in the 1936 novel Gone with the Wind.
I always secretly wanted to live in the mortuary - see there's that dark and twisty side of me. I thought we could put an indoor pool in the large chapel and turn the embalming room into a nice kitchen :-0
What, you think I'm kidding???


All kidding aside, my grandpa Croxford was an incredible person. He was an entrepreneur, a leader in his church and his community, and he had a heart of gold. He passed away before my second birthday and I have not met a single person that new him during his life that didn't love him dearly. I mean people seriously can't stop gushing about what a wonderful and loving person he was. So while I didn't know him well during his time on this earth, he left a legacy for his grandchildren and I can only hope that I can leave such a positive impression on this world as I pass through it. Thanksgiving break has officially started and I plan on spending lots of time with my fabulous children - and Per too of course. So I may not be blogging much this next week unless something really exciting happens that I just HAVE to document in this dandy e-journal. Enjoy your holiday break this week!


No comments:
Post a Comment