Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ringing in the New Year, A Birthday Celebration, and an Ouchie


We decided to ease into the new year ... nice and slow.  We don't get another holiday until Spring Break in April so we had to get the most out of these final days of vacation.  Per and I both report to Jury duty on Monday morning and we're closing out the hospitals' financials for the year when I head back to work so we'll be plenty busy come Monday.

Our traditional New Year's Eve feast consists of a yummy assortment of cheese and chocolate fondue ... 

... this year was no exception ... 


... we even had a few of the kids' friends join our "G rated" celebration.  
I was surprised, all but Annika and Kyra made it to the midnight count down.  
And then Per challenged me to a couple rounds of New Year's pool 
( and I kicked his bootee ... wink, wink...).

We were actually able to sleep in until 7:30 on New Year's Day (yeah)... 
and then we just lounged 
(except for Per and Torby and friends' game 
of New Year's day football where Per messed up his knee) 
 and watched movies (Kung Fu Panda ... over and over and over) 
and played on the Wii or pool table.  
Several of us didn't even get out of our jammies
- now that's a good day in Per's book.

We made up for our laziness the following day 
by cleaning the house and detailing the cars... 
and that was a good day in MY book 
(I can't help it - 
I get a natural high out of being productive
- yikes)!!!

And that night a special visitor arrived 
- JOLIEN IS BACK - 
we shed so many tears of JOY!!!!  

And then we partied with her friends all night 
and thoroughly enjoyed having her back in our home.  
Also, Anders now knows what it is like to have a big sister... 
she rouses him out of bed before noon - poor Anders ;-)

Saturday morning we tried to get back to some relaxing activities - 
including kite flying ....


... and playing with the neighbors FOUR PUPPIES 
(they paid us a surprise visit and came bounding out of the woods
 behind our house during their morning walk)!

The most important thing we did Saturday was 
celebrate the 12th birthday of our incredible son.  
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORBY!!!!

He's sporting some fabulous new clothes from Holland and Norway 
following his birthday and Christmas.  At least he doesn't have to worry about other kids at school wearing the same outfit (cause I know boys worry about that kind of stuff - 
ALL THE TIME!!!)

Ah Torby, just before you were born, 12 years ago, 
we were scrambling to move out of Grandpa and Grandma Anderson's basement 
so I could bring you home to MY NEST.  

It wasn't a logical decision... 
with you arriving during winter break of my senior year in college 
and daddy starting up his multi media business ... 
but my hormones took over 
and so we rented our own little place there in Shelton, Washington... 
and lived off credit cards for several months (bad, bad, bad credit cards) ...
but we survived.  

And here we are today in middle Tennessee, 
celebrating your arrival on this earth 
(isn't life surreal?).  

Bet you never would have thought you'd have a couple older siblings ...
 they sure came in handy in helping you figure out your new cell phone today.  
Jolien and Anders are Torby's new texting buddies.  
Anders was in the photo below too but 
we had just roused him from his deep slumber 
and I knew he wouldn't appreciate me posting a picture of him 
in his sleepy state...



Unfortunately, Torby's birthday festivities were cut short when this little bug tumbled off a chair and BROKE HER ARM :-(

Per and I spent a good part of the night in the ER with Kyra last night. 
 We took several x-rays of her poor little arm 
but they couldn't find a the break 
and then the doctor noticed bruising on her elbow 
and realized the break must be in the upper arm
 so we took more x-rays and sure enough ... 
there was the fractured bone.   

My heart just about broke as I helped the nurses apply a cast to her arm 
- oh the pain ... the awful pain that it caused her.   
I realized just how lucky we are to have children
 that have been blessed with healthy little bodies.  
I can't imagine the pain that parents' of terminally ill children endure.

My poor little baby Kyra...
I'm so sorry you fell - I'm feeling like a rotten, inattentive mommy.  
One minute you were sipping on a soda with me 
and watching me play a round of pool with Brynn 
while Daddy and Torby played nearby on the Wii ... 
and the next thing I knew you had tumbled off your chair 
(I think you started to fall asleep and lost your balance).  
I've been snuggling you all day ... 
being very careful not to move your tender little arm 
(especially since it's so difficult to get your Motrin in you 
so I can't do much to relieve your pain) ... 
and while I've enjoyed the snuggling - 
I would do almost anything to take away your pain tonight.  
We pray for your speedy recovery my sweet, sweet baby.  
Mommy loves you.

And Torby
we'll make up the birthday celebration that was cut short 
... later this week - I promise. 
 I love you son - you make me so proud!  

No comments:

Post a Comment