Obviously, I didn't chaperon the Hall of Fame field trip. I'm raving mad and instead choose to volunteer my services when the class is touring historic southern plantations. FYI - these trips usually take place on the hottest day of the school year and I dutifully stand outside in the sultry humidity for hours while the Brynn and her peers excitedly scrub and wash clothes on wash boards and then hang them out to dry on the clothes lines (ummmm my group of kids could have done this all day and they unanimously agreed that it was the best part of the field trip last year - go figure), make old-fashioned candles (this involves dipping in wax, getting back in line in the never-ending line, dipping in wax again, getting back in line, more dipping in wax .... an on and on and on), and replicate rag dolls appropriate for the period. Kidding aside, I really enjoy touring the old plantations and civil war sites in the area so I'll eagerly endure the heat to spend some time with Brynn and take in the rich history of these sites.
On another note, we took Brynn to her first professional hockey game last week - as promised. Anders had also been pleading with us to take him to a Predators game and Torby had already gone to a game with us last year. I'm fortunate to be able to access my company's suite at the Sommet Center on occasion for concerts, hockey games, and etc. so we headed into downtown Nashville for the much anticipated event.
Brynn watched about 5 minutes of the game and then she spent the rest of the evening trying to chase down the hostess for our suite so we could get more fruit and sweets sent up to accompany the enormous pot of chocolate fondue. She eventually gave up and just ate the left-over chocolate fondue from the pot ... with a spoon. NICE. Good thing I knew everyone in the suite that night ... and even better that they were a laid back bunch!!!
And here's WHY Brynn was scouting out more food half way through the night ...
... you guessed it - Per and Anders wasted no time digging into the refreshments ;-)
Unfortunately, our esteemed Predators lost in sudden-death overtime. I find Hockey very amusing to watch live ... and a Hockey game that runs into overtime ... well it's absolutely riveting. Talk about an aggressive sport. When we returned home, Torby just wanted to know how much blood there was on the ice. Evidently, that's the measure of a good hockey game. I don't know how our sweet Dutch girl plays on the national field hockey team back in Holland!!! She's one tough Chickie!
So one week Brynn is touring the Country Music Hall of Fame and sewing blankets and the next she's witnessing a bloody battle on the ice. I'd say she's getting a well-rounded upbringing!
More on the other kiddos later this week ...



No comments:
Post a Comment