Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Day in a Mom's Life

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and folded a load of laundry before squeezing in my first workout in weeks.  It's BUDGET SEASON and that means no time for working out.  During budget season you eat, sleep, and dream BUDGET.  But yesterday I put the finishing touches on the division budget tool, sent it out to our facilities, and communicated next year's earnings targets to the hospital CFOs.  

BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!!

So my workout today was a treat.  Annika and Brynn also joined me for my workout with Annika drawing me pictures of Ariel, King Triton, and Sebastian on the art easel (her Little Mermaid obsession) while Brynn filled me in on the latest songs she is learning in her school chorus.  They helped me take my mind off the BURNING in my legs - today was lower body strength training....OUCH!

It was a beautiful cool autumn morning so I ate my breakfast on the back porch ... perfect start to the day.  Kyra joined me and ate half my breakfast - she's an oatmeal lover like her mom.  

Per came out to visit with me and we talked about our priorities at work for the day.  I told him my worst fear was that I'd get to work and find out I made some huge error in the budget tool - and then Annika jumped in and said "Mom, everybody makes mistakes".  May I remind you she's just 3.  I, of course, was intrigued by her comment and asked her to tell me more about what she knows on this subject ;-).  

She immediately started belting out her favorite Hannah Montana song, "No body's Perfect".   We decided to head inside and blast her favorite song over the Apple TV while everyone danced and sang their hearts out (except Torby who was woke up in the midst of this chaos and thinks we're all crazy).  How did my 3 year old know just what I needed to hear today?  I am the ultimate perfectionist and sometimes I just have to step back and put things in perspective - as Annika so aptly pointed out this morning.  I headed off to work with that song still looping through my head. 

"Everybody makes mistakes ... Everyone has those days ... Everybody makes mistakes ... Everyone has those days.

Fortunately, we didn't find any major bugs in the budget tool (yet) but I did have a couple cranky CFOs call to gripe about their earnings targets next year.   I made it through the day unscathed and returned home to find a fabulous dinner waiting for me (Per is truly wonderful) and some very energetic girls needing my attention.

Brynn is having a sleep-over at a friends house (fall break started today) and Torby has a friend over here for a sleep-over so Annika and Kyra had my full attention tonight.  

First, we painted toenails and fingernails....  



Then we jumped on the bed (notice Annika is still in her Snow White costume - 21 days and counting)...
.

... and then Kyra showed me how good she is at climbing my headboard.... (ummm-she rarely wears clothes- and I'm OK with that)



...while Annika used my foot board for her balance beam routine.


And finally, we collapsed in a tired heap on the bed ready for some SNUGGLE TIME (my personal favorite - Annika took this picture).  

Tomorrow I'm cutting out of work at noon and we're headed to the pumpkin patch.  The kids can hardly wait.  The question is - can Torby  and Per find their way out of the CORN MAZE before me???  We shall see about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment